Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Answer is Always Yes.

So today after almost 30 days of my "100 days of happiness" project on Facebook, I am starting to get sick of talking about "me"! I think this project is great, because it helps you look for all of the blessings in your life, but I'd like to focus outside of myself for a while! Soooo...for the next little bit I will be posting not just things about what's happy in my day, but concepts, ideas, etc., that will hopefully spread happiness to others. Today, I'd like to share a little concept that has really helped me. Anyone who knows me knows that so much of my happiness comes from the blessing of being a mother and having my sweet girls. I want to share a little idea that helps with children: The answer is always yes. Now, before you panic, this probably doesn't mean what you think it means. This means, when your child asks, "Can we play at the park?", and the answer is really "No" (for that day/time) , You respond with an enthusiastic, "Yes! We can do that on Thursday!" (another day that will work), and then follow it up with something that will distract the children from their disappointment, like, "You know what would be so fun? We could have a picnic too!" This works in many situations. For example, "Mommy! I want that toy!" in the store...Instead of following up with a "No", Saying, "Oh what a cool toy! Yes, you can have that when you earn enough allowance! We'll talk with Daddy about some chores to help you earn faster!" sounds sooooo much more positive, loving, and hopeful. It often helps to circumvent temper tantrums and makes the whole experience more fun. My parenting philosophy is to nurture my children with love and happiness as much as possible, even when saying no to something or disciplining them. Obviously there are situations where this won't work, but in general, I hope it helps a bit to make those "No" moments a more positive experience! Love you my friends!! I hope this has made someone happy today or been helpful. xxoooo

No comments:

Post a Comment